Monday, February 27, 2006

Transfiguration

My oldest daughter was (and is) always very verbal. From the time she was itty-bitty, she was a talker, albeit a slow talker, but a talker none the less. This developed into a voracious appetite for reading. Which then developed into the skillful art of writing and expressing her thoughts. This caused me no end of grief when she was a teenager for she could talk circles around me. Her arguments (usually misguided) always seemed plausible because she could argue and reason with the best. I found the only way to overcome this and keep my sanity (even though I was usually right) was just to refuse to argue and send her to her dad who was a more worthy opponent in the arguing and reasoning venue. I kept telling myself that this was a good thing, a good characteristic...that one day this irritating trait would prove to be of great value. After all, I imagine Paul to be that way as a teenager! I prayed many prayers on her behalf, imploring God to use her and her unique abilities for Him. And I'm here to say that God does indeed answer prayer.

She has just penned a sermon on the transfiguration, which I happen to think is tremendous. Go to http://www.rudesermons.blogspot.com to read it. I believe you'll be glad you did.

And parents, when you are totally exasperated with your children for whatever traits that God has placed in them, just remember that it's those very traits that he can use to his glory. Don't give up and don't stop praying. Take it from one who knows.

1 Comments:

Blogger JTB said...

AWWW, shucks, Ma.

Boy am I glad I grew out of being that snotty teenager. That actually gets an oblique reference in the sermon, come to think about it.

11:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home