Monday, April 24, 2006

Work in Progress


My back yard is a mess. The job is so overwhelming that I don't know where to start. I mean, I love a garden. I love the peacefulness, the scents, the birdsong...but I'm not sure I like the work it takes to get there. It's hard work. It takes planning, patience, endurance...not to mention a strong back. But I have a vision.

This week is going to be a beautiful week. It isn't supposed to rain at all this week, which is remarkable for where I live. The sun is out, the mountain is out, the birds are out...and I'm going out. Out to the garden to work. Well, technically it's not a garden yet...but it will be.

I'm not a natural gardener, which means I'm not the type of person that craves to be out there digging every minute of every day. I like it, but it has its limitations. I can't read while I'm out there and I can't knit either...both of which I love to do...so I'm pulled in all directions. Bruce is even less of a yard enthusiast than I. He would be perfectly happy to have a yard of rock...no mowing. But, he's being so good to get out there and do stuff that I know he doesn't enjoy, for no other reason than he knows it pleases me. But, hey, when it's sunny, you better go outside.

We have all this ugly rock that has to be moved before we can even start on the garden. It's drudge work...nasty....boring. Makes my arms and back hurt, but it has to be done before we can start planting. So I'm out there moving this rock and I'm thinking that this is a lot like my life. There's stuff in my life that I need to shovel out and get rid of. Old habits, old hurts. The kinds of things that make life harder and make becoming like Jesus harder. It's not fun either. It takes hard work, patience, and endurance. And there's so much of it!

This morning I got carried away and thought why not just dig this old rose bush up and get it out of the way and not have to bother Bruce with that? So...I get the shovel and start. I work about 15 minutes with not much progress. I'm beginning to sweat and get a little aggravated at this rose bush. It doesn't even come up to my knees for goodness sake. But I can't get the thing out of the ground. It won't budge. Face it...I need help.

That's so my approach to things sometimes. Leave me alone...I can fix it. It's hard to admit that you have your limitations, especially if you're used to being pretty good at things. Apparently, this rose bush has been in the ground a while. Sometimes the things that have been with us a long time, we find difficult to deal with. Sometimes we can't even see that they're there. We need someone's help. It would be nice if I could just give that rose bush a little tug and it would come up, but it's not going to. But I bet with help, I'll uproot it.

My vision for my back yard is so beautiful. A good friend of mine worked on it with me and drew a plan for it. I have it all on paper. I know what the dimensions need to be, what plants to buy, and where to put them. I have a reading area and areas for birds and wildlife. You see, I needed something concrete to look at. Something to keep me going when I get tired of working on it. Something to keep me restless because it isn't finished. Something to remind me of what it will be.

It's why I need to hear the stories of Jesus over and over. To remind me of God's plan for me. That I too am a work in progress and so that I can catch a vision of what could be, and what will be one day.

8 Comments:

Blogger mom23 said...

I love this post. I think I need to print this one out. Thanks, Pat!

8:04 PM  
Blogger Amy S. Grant said...

Can't wait to see your vision for your garden become a reality. Looks like the pictures from the previous post would be something to shoot for!

Great thoughts on how this process applies to us spiritually. Gives me something to think about today. What are those rocks and rose bushes in my life...

6:01 AM  
Blogger pat said...

I keep telling Bruce that working in the garden is a spiritual experience, but he's just not buying it!

9:55 AM  
Blogger allison said...

I think, too, that sometimes we want to "clean out the trash" but are so zealous to get to our end (the beautiful garden, or accepting a painful past, or forgiving someone) that we think one good yank should do it -- easy right, and then we find out that it might take not just will power but a spade (tools) or another hand to do the job.

Ask Dad to help you yank that sucker out of the ground. Why have you always hated rose bushes!!!!

10:20 AM  
Blogger Angie said...

Hello Pat... I came to your blog via a recommendation to read today's post from Amy. It was well worth it. This will be the post that stays in my mind all day today.

I think I have given up in some ways on clearing out a few problem areas. It seems like every time I make some headway and get rid of a few weeds... I turn around only to find that new ones sprung up when I wasn't looking. Same old roots. Different weeds.

But instead of the utter desperation I usually feel... I get a sense of hope after reading this. So thanks for putting it in the proper framework... keeping Jesus Christ's plans for my life in full view.

Just beautiful...

11:46 AM  
Blogger Kelley said...

Got here through Amy's blog and what a blessing it has been! Thanks for the wonderful posting to remind me of God's plan!

6:28 AM  
Blogger JTB said...

This very forcefully reminds me of that cliactic scene in Hurnard's Hind's Feet on High Places where Much Afraid struggles to have the roots of human desire torn up out of her heart (it was something like that, I know I'm not getting that quite right, but it's been a good 15 years since I read that book). She tries it herself, and thinks she rips it out, and then the Christ figure comes along and says, no, I have to do it for you--and like Lewis' baptismal scene with Eustace and Aslan in Dawn Treader, it goes ever so much deeper and hurts so much more--but it is done. Completely.

I guess I'm not recommending that you wait for Jesus to pull your rose bush up. Dad will do nicely as a substitute. :)

7:41 AM  
Blogger JTB said...

I meant "climactic scene"--I hope "cliactic" isn't some dirty medical word I accidentally stumbled on in my typo!

7:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home