Monday, May 29, 2006

Days Gone By



Seems like a long time ago. Our first baby. Almost 30 years ago, in fact. And now, our little girl is having her first little girl. I'm leaving Wednesday for Princeton where I hopefully will be in time for the birth of Jen's baby. I've been looking at the old pictures and waxing nostalgic as I prepare to go. It's funny, but now, when I look back at myself, I think I looked like a child. And I guess we were. Bruce was 23 and I was 21. We didn't really know much about parenting. Well, I didn't, anyway. Bruce had 6 brothers and sisters and he really knew more about taking care of babies than I did. But I learned. The hardest thing for me was losing sleep. I mean I really like to sleep and until I accepted the fact that I just was going to have my sleep interrupted, I was really grumpy about it.

Jennifer taught me a lot. The best thing she taught me was that I was no longer the center of my universe. I now had someone who depended on me and needed me just to exist. That seemed to snap me out of it. And I needed to learn that lesson. Life is so much better when you realize that the world does not revolve around you.

So...I'll be traveling this week and hopefully welcoming my granddaughter into this world in the next few days. Rest assured that there will be a post with pictures as soon as possible. She's due tomorrow as a matter of record, but given the fact that both her mom and dad are rather stubborn, I'm sure she'll take her own sweet time to appear.

Please pray that labor and delivery will go well and for blessings on us all as we welcome the newest member of our family into God's beautiful world.

4 Comments:

Blogger JTB said...

how paradoxical that it's a baby--who really does think she's the center of all the universe--who teaches us we're not...

stacking up on my sleep here in princeton in vain preparation for the next few months. after all i am my mother's daughter and sleep is one of God's great gifts to humanity, in my opinion.

and am telling Baby _____ that she's not allowed to go anywhere till you get here!!!

7:28 AM  
Blogger JTB said...

that pic must be really, really soon after birth...I don't look fat at all!

2:15 PM  
Blogger mom23 said...

What beautiful hippy-esque pictures! Miss you guys.

10:22 AM  
Blogger Amy S. Grant said...

Praying for a healthy baby and easy delivery!

9:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home