Monday, June 12, 2006

Well, my bags are packed...

I now know what troops must feel like when they are waiting for their orders.

We've watched every episode of Battlestar Galactica, which I highly recommend by the way. It has great theological significance. Something I would never have picked up on if I were not watching it with a theologian. In fact, she did an excellent post on it if you are interested. We've knitted. We've read books (mostly searching for ways to kickstart labor). We've played Settlers of Catan and I still have not won. We've gone for long walks, even walked the mall (UGH). Gone to a movie to see Akeelah and the Bee which is really, really good. We've gone out to eat to have spicy Mexican. In short, we've about exhausted our entertainment resources.

Jenny and Brent have had their hospital bags packed for a while now. Check out her blog for her unusual list of items she's packing. But, Nana also has a bag. Mine is not filled with symbolic items, but the practical. Number one on the list is of course, my camera. I'm a tad bit obsessive about this. I've even had nightmares of being at this birth and discovering I've left my camera or my batteries are dead. I also have a large square piece of black velveteen to use as a backdrop for pictures of mommy, daddy and baby. I have a list of photo poses that I want to take in case I totally lose it and become so distracted that I don't get the pics I want. I'm also packing pictures of Jenny as a baby to compare. I have my knitting, my current book(s), and a Real Simple magazine to distract Jen if she needs distraction. I'm going to throw in some snacks at the last minute and change to buy coffee. My cell phone of course, to keep everyone in the loop and my well-worn copy of The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding. That's about it for me.

I'm so excited about viewing this birth. I have never watched a birth besides by own childrens' and to be included in the birth of my granddaughter is worth more than I can express. It will be a holy moment. A worshipful moment. A moment of extreme joy and raw emotion. I'm not exactly sure what to expect, I just know that we will all feel the presence of God that day in a way that will impact us forever.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home