Wednesday, July 05, 2006

"..so what's a doula, anyway?"

This is the response I'm getting lately when I tell people what my plans are for my future endeavors. You know, way back in the late 70's when I was having my babies, I remember that breastfeeding was not so much in vogue and that having a "natural" childbirth was tantamount to living in the woods with no toilet. I relied heavily on my La Leche League friends to get me through the early days of nursing and adjusting to having a baby in the house. I thought "At least when my daughters begin to have their babies, times will have changed and everyone will be more knowledgeable and supportive of women's decisions to breastfeed and have their children the way they would like." Well, I perceive that there has been some progress in this area, but I'm really surprised that it hasn't progressed as much as I had hoped. Hence...the decision to become a part of the solution.

For those of you out there who may not, like my friends around here, know what a doula is...here's the short version. The term "doula" was coined by an author back in the 70's named Dana Raphael who wrote an outstanding little book entitled, "Breastfeeding: The Tender Gift". It was required reading for La Leche League leaders and my old copy is sitting on my shelf today. Doula is Greek for "slave" or "servant". The term connotes a person who is devoted to the care of the new mother either while she is giving birth, after she has given birth, or both. Since I'm embarking on my journey to become a certified postpartum doula, I've been doing some required reading on all types of birth and postpartum related subjects. Most interesting to me has been the historical look at how different cultures treat their new mothers after childbirth.

In most cultures, there is a "lying-in" period after the birth. An older woman or women in the community, most often a relative, comes and stays with the new mother and family and devotes herself to caring for them. Usually, this period is about 40 days. (similar to our 6 weeks postpartum period). However, all the reading that I've done stresses that there is no set time to postpartum. One book even said as long as the mom is breastfeeding and changing diapers, you are in postpartum. Anyway, the point being that the new mother is pampered. Someone else takes care of the day-to-day household responsibilites so that the new mother who has just done this tremendously important task of bringing forth new life gets the treatment that she deserves. Special meals are prepared to facilitate breastfeeding, herbal teas are made, massages for the mother and the new baby are given. In short, the mother is expected to rest and recover while others take complete care of her. Women are around to help her with breastfeeding, showing her how to do it. Contrary to popular belief, just because it is "nature's way" does not mean it comes naturally. It is a skill like anything else and has to be learned.

Wouldn't childbearing in the U.S. be much more enjoyable and less stressful if we were allowed to have this time? Instead, we give birth and are hustled out of the hospital ASAP and expected to go home and be supermom because all women just naturally know how to do this, right??? Well, that wasn't my experience. I was 21, never babysat, never even saw anyone breastfeed and there I was with a new baby...a howling new baby. If it hadn't been for a couple of women in LLL who were there for me, I probably would have lost my mind.

So, I'm curious about other women's experiences with postpartum. Did you prepare for it like you did for your birth experience? If not, why not? Would it have helped you? Did you experience an easy postpartum with your baby? If difficult, what do you think would have helped? Scott...I guess these questions won't apply directly to you, but as a new dad, did you perceive difficulties that maybe could have been avoided? What have you learned with subsequent children?

Thanks for any info you can give me on this subject. I'm very excited about becoming an active member of the childbirth community and hope to help families make this wonderful transition a little easier.

11 Comments:

Blogger Milliner's Dream, a woman of many "hats"... said...

Welcome to doula work! You will find it so rewarding. We're practically neighbors.

Hannah
www.millinersdream.blogspot.com

9:15 AM  
Blogger Milliner's Dream, a woman of many "hats"... said...

Pat--come by my blog and drop me an e-mail--I can't find an addy for you on your blog.

I think we have a lot in common and I'd love to chat.

Hh

9:46 AM  
Blogger doulicia said...

Another doula weighing in here. Just giving you support on the journey!

Congratulations on becoming a grandmother.

10:43 AM  
Blogger mom23 said...

Pat, I'm so proud of you for this and think you will be an awesome Doula!!

Did I prepare for postpartum like I did having the baby? Nope. I knew my mom was coming for a few days and she would teach me everything then, right?

I had the hardest time when Cassie (#2) was born. Transitioning from 1 to 2 was incredibly difficult. And I had a little baby who didn't need sleep and lived a 1000 miles away from family. I didn't feel comfortable relying on the help of others. I think all of this was equally significant to the hormonal reasons that I developed PPD with her.

BTW - ever read "The Red Tent"? Fiction but oh so cool.

7:24 PM  
Blogger JTB said...

Does leisurely perusal of Womanly Art count as "preparation?" Other than that I don't think I did anythng except take as many naps as possible hoping that it was possible to "stock up" on sleep.

I think birth was such a monumental thing that anything after that just wasn't in focus.

6:50 AM  
Blogger pat said...

Actually, in my class, I learned that there really is no way to prepare for postpartum. It's tantamount to talking to the baby in the womb trying to explain that "one day you'll breathe air, and be hungry, and poop"...they just would have no concept. Moms and Dads don't either until it's actually upon them.

9:00 PM  
Blogger R-Liz said...

"Wouldn't childbearing in the U.S. be much more enjoyable and less stressful if we were allowed to have this time?" --- Yes!!! And the idea of another woman coming in and taking care of all other household responsiblities for 40+ days (and guiding me on being a new mom) sounds like a dream come true!

My mother was at the birth of my daughter and stayed for a week or two, so that was really nice. I would've liked for her to have stayed longer, but my dad needed her back home.

My work started calling me when my daughter was 4 weeks old. They had gotten rather dependent upon me and were anxious to have me back. I went back to work when my daughter was 6-7 weeks old, and had started pumping a few weeks before in preparation. It was tough to pump during breaks (I NEVER saw the light of day when I was at work for this reason), and each day was unique so it was hard to schedule feedings. Thus, breastfeeding lasted about 4 months with my daughter. Would I have liked to have done it longer? I'm not sure. I was breastfed until I was two, so I have no problem with breastfeeding going on for awhile. But I'm admittedly one of those gals who really felt burdened by my child being completely dependent upon me for sustenance. I think the Lord paired me with a sensitive, family-focused man for many reasons, this being one.

10:03 PM  
Blogger R-Liz said...

Scott-- I'm glad you mentioned the feelings of disconnect and inadequacy. You are most certainly not alone. It seemed like everyone reminisced so happily about babies and motherhood-- but I felt completely side-swiped. I tell new moms (in hopes that they'll not feel alone in their frustrations) that if God had come to me within the first three months of my daughter's life and asked if He should take her back and let me try again later that I would've taken Him up on His offer. I was exhausted and felt like I had completely lost my independence and never knew if I would ever feel "me" again.

What you say about new dads needing more thought and consideration is huge. I know there have been good dads for all of history, but I feel like the true "hands on" dad is becoming more and more common and expected (at least where I live)-- but the postpartum aspect of hands on dad is still catching up. It was also because of my husband's "hands on" nature that I wanted to start pumping and formula feeding fairly early on so he could bond with our daughter in every way I did.

9:00 AM  
Blogger pat said...

Scott, thanks for sharing your thoughts about all this. We need more dads' perspectives on how they feel during postpartum. It's not uncommon for dads to feel very unnecessary at this time, when nothing could be farther from the truth. I think it's good moral support for confused new moms to know that someone else that they respect is feeling just as helpless as they are. Part of my job as a doula to the whole family is helping dad to feel a part...and siblings as well. In my situation, Bruce actually was the better care-taker than me. I was the youngest child who was always cared for, and it was a huge shock when I had to be the primary care-giver of a helpless infant. Bruce had many younger brothers and sisters and seemed to know what to do. It didn't do much for my ego, but it was really helpful.

R-liz, thanks so much for sharing your experience with your daughter. Having nursed 3 daughters, all very different, I can't begin to imagine the challenge of nursing and working outside the home. You did a great job to keep it up for the time that you did. I greatly relate to your feelings of being side-swiped after the birth. I thought I would never see normalcy again. I never had been so tired in my life. The picture that everyone paints is so rosy. I think there is this feeling that if we really told it like it is, no one would have a baby, and the human race would not go on. However, God made sex really wonderful, so that obviously won't ever happen! But, it is like this big secret that no one tells you about until you have the baby and there's nothing you can do about it. I too feel that if I were made such an offer from God that I might have taken him up on it...particularly in the first month. But, as hard as those early days are, there are also days of incredible bliss. Indescribable bliss that keep you going.

I've learned in my class that the new mom mirrors her infant in emotional states. The new mom feels helpless, cries, needs taking care of...all of these things are completely normal and help in the mother/infant bonding. I just wish I had known it was OK to feel like a baby myself when I had a baby. Instead, I felt inadequate and thought I was abnormal. But, all this proves is that we need community around when we are in this vulnerable state. And a voice to say, it's all right, things will get better.

Thanks for the comments guys.

9:56 AM  
Blogger mom23 said...

I am enjoying this conversation so much. I think it is such an important conversation to have and I just don't understand why so many women are scared to have it.

Pat, this is such a hard endeavor you are taking on and I am thrilled you are doing it. I hope that we as women will be ready and willing to take the help and know that its OK to need and want the help.

8:38 PM  
Blogger pat said...

Tracy,

Next baby...you call me and I'll be there!

9:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home