Monday, July 24, 2006

We're having a heat wave!

A tropical heat wave. It's miserable here. For the last 3 days it's been over 95. I know, I know, those of you in Texas and TN are probably laughing, but out here, when it hits 90, people start wilting. Not to mention, we don't have air conditioning in our houses. That's because our summers are so short and normally so mild, there's no need. But these last few days, what I wouldn't have given for some good old southern AC.

I was gone to a wedding shower on Saturday, and when I called Bruce to check about dinner, he said, "I bought you a surprise!". Now, ordinarily, I would be wanting, I don't know, a DVD, a book, a pair of shoes...something like that. In my heart, I was secretly hoping that he had bought me a fan! He had!! I was so excited. That's how bad it is.

So, we've been using the grill since it's murder to cook in the house. And eating a lot of salads, which is convenient since I'm back on the combo Atkins/South Beach diet again (see Command, Example and Necessary Exercise). I call it At South Beach.

By the way, for a random thought, does anyone out there know how to cook omelets and keep them from looking like a train wreck? I really love omelets and I can eat them on this diet, but mine are anything but pretty. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Oh, and if anyone has any clever ideas about how to stay cool, pass them along as well.

2 Comments:

Blogger J. Brent Bates said...

Plenty of oil in a small cast iron skillet with the heat pretty high. That works for me.

4:15 PM  
Blogger mom23 said...

I can't believe I'm giving you a cooking tip, but here's what I figured out: the smaller they are the easier they are to control. I try to keep the omlet no bigger than the spatula that I'm flipping with. Also, I put a lid over the skillet to get the innards to cook more thoroughly before folding it.

8:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home