Saturday, July 29, 2006

Sunrise hike on Mt. Rainier

These photos are taken at the most beautiful spot I've seen (so far) here in WA. This is the Sunrise trail on Mt. Rainier. There are many trails here to hike and these are photos from two of them. As I'm hiking, I'm trying to learn the flora of the area. I guess that's a hangover from my Botany class. The beautiful little flowers above are Mountain Lupine (purple) and Arnica (yellow). I would definitely add these to my garden, but they won't grow at a lower altitude. You have to hike to see them.
"The hills are alive..." No, I didn't burst into song, but felt like bursting into prayers of praise for the beauty around me.
Everywhere we walked we were looking at the scene above and below. What you see sort of in the center of the picture winding down the mountain is actually a glacier that feeds the White River.


Yes, I am standing on snow pack--in July! This was a hike that I got sunburned on, and yet I was at a point where I could wash my face in snow.


We ended one trail at this serene mountain lake. It is Shadow Lake and will gradually dry up as many have, and become a meadow filled with Lupines, Arnica, and Indian paintbrush (the pink flowers in my previous post. But for now, it is a most peaceful place to rest after hiking all day.

I hope this is not like pulling out the slide projector and forcing you to see my vacation pictures. I just think these are too beautiful to hide on my hard drive.

4 Comments:

Blogger JTB said...

"in the morning you can go swimming and in the afternoon you can drive right up into the mountains to ski" (must be rather tiring...)

Doesn't Rainier need another "i"?

7:33 AM  
Blogger pat said...

Is that a quote from Fawlty Towers? And yes, it needs another "i".

5:45 PM  
Blogger JTB said...

yup, the "ugly american" episode, I don't know what the real title is. You know, where the guy keeps screaming, "I want a Waldorf salad!"

1:55 PM  
Blogger R-Liz said...

I grew up in Denver, and always thought the Rockies were pretty ugly-- except from afar when you're seeing them in the skyline. But the mountains up and down the west coast are just gorgeous. I'm sure it's because they're volcanic-- so lush!! What beautiful pictures.

9:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home