Sunday, August 13, 2006

Strawberry Shortcake

I'm looking for a good recipe for strawberry shortcake. I've a friend whose daughter is getting married and I'm helping her with some baking. One thing she wants is to serve strawberry shortcake so we are tossing around ideas about the shortcake part. My mom always made this with pie crust pastry. She would cut it out in rounds and then bake the pie crust and use that as the "shortcake" part. Very non-traditional, but very good. But, we think we want something a little more cake-y. The shortcakes I've had, I haven't liked because they are too dry...too biscuit-y. Does anyone out there have something that is really good, and more moist than that traditional shortcake? I use pound cake myself, and we may end up with that, but I thought I'd ask the good cooks that read this blog.

So, please share if you have a good idea that would not be extremely labor intensive as we are doing this en masse for a wedding. It would be helpful if the whatever would "freeze beautifully" (what movie is that from)? Thanks for your help.

5 Comments:

Blogger mom23 said...

My favorite is Angel Food cake for the cake part. JMHO (just my humble opinion)

8:43 PM  
Blogger R-Liz said...

Steel Magnolias

1:26 PM  
Blogger pat said...

Right you are.

4:38 PM  
Blogger JTB said...

Joy of Cooking has an actual shortcake recipe, which is basically a sweeter than usual biscuit dough. Like a scone. I haven't tried but I suspect it would at least freeze adequately if not beautifully.

Or you could always make red beans and rice, as we hear it does indeed freeze beautifully.

11:56 AM  
Blogger JTB said...

I saw a woman buying shortcake fixin's at the store a couple days ago and she was making them with ladyfingers--you know, the spongy cookies that go in tiramisu. I think that would work pretty well.

6:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home